Thursday, May 6, 2010

Straight for Equality 2010 Gala

You read about the bomb scare in Times Square, right? Well it looks like I got lucky. Keelie, Cassie and I did our photoshoot together with Bianca Thomas down on the water by the Brooklyn Bridge and then headed up to Times Square for part two of our photoshoot. (That post will come separately when I have time to actually edit the pics!) We wrapped up at about 5:15 after which I headed straight into the Marriot Marquis for the PFLAG National Straight for Equality Gala. My handsome date Matt showed up in his bow tie promptly at 6:00. So we were right there in the action the entire time with no idea what was happening!


Although interesting and dramatic, let's move on to the point of this blog: the Straight for Equality Gala. Straight for Equality is more than just the name of my platform; it is a daughter organization of PFLAG National that focuses on straight ally support specifically for equality in the workplace. I attended with the board of PFLAG NYC accompanied by my roommate Matt. Hosted by Caroline Rhea (Sabrina the Teenage Witch anyone? Yeah, I watched it.), the night was filled with great stories and presentations to/by the honorees: Straight for Equality in Business - Sodexo, SfE in Sports - Scott Fujita, and the crowd favorite, SfE in Entertainment - Liza Minnelli. For most, being in the same room as Liza was the highlight, and it was glorious, especially when she started impromptu singing. However, the words that resonated with me were from Scott Fujita, NFL player for the Superbowl's New Orleans Saints. When asked why he is so vocal about his support for gay rights he said that in 5 years when he retires, no one will care about his opinion or what he says. But NOW, he has a platform to speak his mind and have people at least hear if not listen to him and he is taking full advantage of this opportunity. Dear Scott, stop copying my platform essay. And then marry me; just an aside. As an adopted person himself, he has a huge passion for adoption right for gay couples. He said, if you have a problem with gay rights then call it human rights, or equal rights - because that's what they truly are. Couldn't have said it better myself.

And for those who wanted to see the legend, herself... She really does make a point: It just seemed so much like the right thing to do.



As the evening came to a close, I was able to meet Caroline Rhea who told Matt he was adorable and me that I was beautiful and it is so neat to hear that I'm supporting this issue through the Miss America Organization. Jody Huckaby, executive director of PFLAG National, was a pleasure to meet on Teri Galvez' referral and I look forward to working with him as I take my platform to a national level beyond New York.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment